Wilma in Miami – Not Like Katrina in New Orleans

Hurricane Wilma and Hurricane Katrina were both powerful storms that hit low lying coastal cities. Why was the outcome so different?

1. Miami actually averages 20 feet above sea; level while New Orleans averages about 10 feet below. Big difference with storm surges.
2. Miamians are more connected

3 Comments so far

  1. kendall (unregistered) on November 28th, 2005 @ 9:37 am

    wow — you are an insensitive, self absorbed, out of touch idiot. Just what people have come to expect from peeps in Miami.

    why can’t you say positive shit about your own city without attacking another? Hasn’t the city of NO suffered enough? geez …layoff.


  2. KH (unregistered) on November 28th, 2005 @ 11:59 am

    Yow. How about some feedback from one of the Miami Metrobloggers?

    What you wrote about New Orleans was extrordinarily rude.

    My own understading was that the reports of looting, rioting and shooting in post-Katrina N.O. were greatly exaggerated.

    As for your remark about “handouts”, “blaming” and “complaining”, it appears as though you may not have been here duing Wilma’s aftermath, because there was plenty of that in these parts, and we didn’t even suffer the level of devastation which N.O. did.

    You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

    Though I find that your attitude in general is not homegrown. Most of us Miamians who did not come from elsewhere perceive things quite differently.

    I do wonder whether you might yourself “pick up and move on” after a large hurricane does eventually hit us.


  3. Craig (unregistered) on November 28th, 2005 @ 3:14 pm

    I lived in Miami in the late 1980s, was a Florida news reporter during all of the 1990s and lived in Florida until late last year. I now live in New Orleans.

    I’ll not discuss the socio-economic differences (positive and negative) in the two cities, since they are too large to cover in this space.

    The problem in New Orleans wasn’t the hurricane. We suffered relatively little hurricane damage — certainly less than Mississippi during Katrina or Homestead during Andrew or Pensacola during Ivan last year. The difference was the flood that followed and then remained for two weeks.

    Picture Miami-Dade County from the Broward line south to about Miami International Airport — immersed in two to 12 feet of water for 15 days. Every home, every business, roughly 200,000 cars is now useless. Downtown’s okay, Coral Gables is okay, the thin line on the coastal side of the ICW is okay. But every other one of the thousands of buildings is useless for living or working. Only about 15% of the population has returned, IF they have a place to live. The other 85% do not.

    We’re not whining. My point is that our damage is radically different from the usual wind/surge/rain of even the most devastating of hurricanes (such as what Katrina did in Mississippi or Andrew in Homestead). I invite you here to see it in all its 3-D, 360-degree magnitude. And bring a respirator.



Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.